Monday, December 10, 2012

The Airport: A Cherished Memory

    On Thursday November 29th, I was driving to the airport to pick up my brother who was flying in to visit us for a whole week. He was coming to North Carolina after almost 2 years! It was such an exciting day. I couldn't wait to get to the airport. Finally, he had arrived! It was a dream come true knowing he was going to be staying with us for a whole week.
     The next day I made a second trip to the airport to pick up Priya (my sister-in-law). And again, I was so excited and just couldn't wait. I was beyond ecstatic to be driving to the airport AGAIN to pick up my very own family. It was an amazing feeling, especially since they came after almost 2 years! 

Mordecai Park in front of Andrew Johnson's Home
Trolley Tour
     We all had a great time, despite the fact that all of us were sick! Yes, every single one of us was sick at some point during that weekend. However, nothing stopped us from having fun and enjoying each other's company. We went for a Trolley tour through Historical Raleigh, went to the mall, and had dinner & dessert in Downtown---this was JUST on Saturday. 




Painting Nails
The rest of the weekend consisted of playing x-box, board games, painting nails, building a gingerbread house, watching TV, cooking, eating, experimenting with the Blendtec, great conversations and MOST IMPORTANTLY..... Lots and Lots of LAUGHING! :) 


Gingerbread House built by Priya, Vikas, Karan, & Shalu

Ravi, Karan, Shalu, Priya, &Vikas playing CLUE


     Then, suddenly, Monday arrives!! I make yet another trip to the airport.....BUT, this was now a totally different feeling..... The opposite of happy and exciting and ecstatic. Priya was now leaving after just 3 days.....3 awesome, fun-filled days and nights. I couldn't believe her visit was done. Wasn't I just picking her up from the airport??!! Since Vikas (my brother) was still staying with us for another 3 days, it didn't feel like a complete Good Bye with Priya. I was still happy that at least someone was still going to be 'visiting us' :) :)
Vikas with Karan & Shalu at Memories for Marcus

Memories for Marcus at The Draft
     The next few days were mostly relaxing. Vikas worked from our house a lot. Karan and Shalu caught up on school work. I was so sick that I didn't want to do anything. We even ate leftovers most of the time. Once we went out for lunch to THE PIT in downtown because Vikas wanted to try some authentic NC Barbecue. It was an awesome place, even for vegetarians like me (and my kids). On Wednesday night, we went to THE DRAFT for a charity event Memories for Marcus. Again, a great time was had by all :)
     
 And then.........AGAIN it was time for the airport!!!! This time it was an awful feeling. I didn't want to go at all. I had an empty feeling in my heart. I didn't want Vikas to leave. I really didn't. Since the last few days had been so relaxing and laid back, he became a part of our routine. It was so comforting to come home from work and have him sitting on the sofa watching TV and working. I didn't want  it to end. I didn't want him to leave. I didn't want to say Good-Bye!!

Saying Good-Bye at RDU :(
     Isn't it funny how that AIRPORT can cause so many MIXED emotions??? Happiness and Sadness? Satisfaction and Emptiness? Togetherness and Loneliness? Love and hate? Smiles and Tears? :(
One thing is for sure though......That very SAME Airport also has the power to create many, many Precious Moments which go on to become Cherished Memories...And that is ALL that really matters.

2 comments:

  1. Aww. This is so sweet. We are so glad we were a Le to come and spend quality time with everyone. Hope to see you all sooner than later.

    ReplyDelete